View Single Post
Old 14. Dec 2009, 06:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
dre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
This is the very thing that keeps me questioning: Whats in it for them (the Linux distro creators?)

In my humble opinion Ubuntu is not ready for prime time. The distro's are buggy and the updates are even worse. Their own brand of chaos I can't imagine the average user being able to over come these obstacles.

With that out of the way I can also say that I have a dual booting computer Windows and Linux.

The question remains whats in it for them? Would it be better to charge a modest sum for a more highly polished version of Linux. I believe at some point complete linux distro's will cease to be free, of course there will always be off-shoots and watered down versions that will remain free. Anyone care to share an opinion on this.

Cheers
Wdhpr
Well if you look at Red Hat Enterprise, that is not free anymore.(pay for support) I could remember that was my first Linux Distro that i have played with in a virtual machine. I was 20,21 at the time i am now turning 28

Maybe some will become commercial, but there will always be a lot of free Distro's. Main reason because the very heart of linux code is free! That will never change. Or so i hope If not dual booting, at least run a virtual machine of a Linux distro yes.

"Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the GNU General Public License , the source code for Linux is freely available to everyone. "

Ubuntu for example will always be free of charge, that is on of the promises on their official website.

Take a look here http://www.gnu.org/

Maybe this will give you clarity on your question?