View Single Post
Old 28. Oct 2009, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Matapan1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
I decided to start a separate thread for this because no matter what the need may or may not be for Linux scanners people will use them (including me) either for their own valid reasons or just because it makes them feel safer.

This especially since several of the big guns have applications available as well as dear old Clam.

Having been a severe critic of The Windows version of BitDefender I now admit to liking the Unices version a lot. It's giving no issues at all on my x64 Ubuntu 9.04 and scans quickly. I've opted to leave mine running in the background as I love the idea of just being able to drop files and folders onto the desktop drop icon for immediate scanning. Also, being a Windows nasties hunter if someone turns up with a pendrive while I'm booted into Linux I can still wack it in and scan it.

Has anyone got experiences here with any of the other available options?
I have tried the following scanners only for on demand scanning:

- Rootkit Hunter
- ChkRootkit
- ClamAv
- Avast for Linux
- BitDefender for Unices

The first three are available in the repositories while the last two must be downloaded from the producers websites.

I'm not impressed by ClamAv while Rootkit Hunter and Chkrootkit are fast and targeting well identified malware.

Avast is fine but the signature update is not incremental and takes some time.
BitDefender (thanks MC!) works well and the GUI is nice. Update also is faster then Avast. If working on background, in my system it consumes about 125 mb of RAM and therefore I have disabled this option.
I have experienced with both Avast and BitDefender that several files can not be scanned because files system... and I don't know how to solve it.

I'm not concerned about malware in Linux and I use these scanners once a month or so on or to scan the Windows partition.

Regarding the firewall, I use UFW (and Gufw as GUI) which is very simple (like Windows XP firewall). I have also used Firestarter but I stopped because it takes about 50 mb RAM more than UFW and it's no longer developed.
Matapan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote