View Single Post
Old 25. Feb 2019, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Anupam
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melita-s View Post
I am surprised about the poor response to my question. I know there are members here who not only dual boot but also triple boot with Linux!
I take objection to this statement of yours. Just because your question did not get answered, doesn't mean the response was poor. The members tried to help you with their posts and you should be grateful for that.

The members here did not perform the task that you want to do, and so, they are unable to provide you a specific answer, but, even so, they have given you helpful suggestions.

Did you try searching the internet yourself for the solution to your problem?

I searched for "disk backup windows and linux dual boot", and got several helpful links where this problem was discussed, on the first page itself. But yes, none of them talked about reading the Linux partition, because they didn't have any such need.

I came across this too on the first page of the search results:

https://www.backup-utility.com/res/b...stem-4348.html

It explains how you can backup a dual boot setup using Aomei Backupper Standard, and that the software supports the Linux filesystems.

Macrium Reflect, Aomei Backupper and Paragon Backup and Rescue, all have the feature of creating a bootable rescue media, using which you can boot the system and take a backup of the whole disk, including the MBR, so that you get a clone of the disk, and so restoring that image should restore the dual boot setup.

These software also support mounting the backup image and exploring it, from the software itself, so, it is my guess that you should be able to explore the Linux partition too. You will have to try that for yourself, since it is "your" requirement. No one is going to try that out for you, unless someone else too has the same requirement.

Also, if you backup the files on the Linux system on to the Windows hard drive or another hard drive, then you don't have to worry about reading the Linux partition in the image. Using a software like Diskinternals Linux Reader, you can read the files on the Linux partition. Or, just boot from a live Linux like Puppy Linux and transfer the files from your Linux system to Windows or any other hard drive.