View Single Post
Old 02. Oct 2018, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
eyeb

It won't help you with your solution, but maybe something you could do is what I did.

I make small(ish) OS partitions, and a large Data partition. So I save everything I use to the data partition so no matter which OS I boot into, it is there and I don't need to increase/decrease it depending on which OS I use. Since they all have access to the partition, I can access files from linux/windows. I run portable apps out of it too on windows so when I switch from Windows XP to 7 to 10, I don't need to install the same program 3 times for example. When I want to test a new OS, I usually install over one of the OS partitions I already have instead of making a new one since I don't use them other than to play with. I don't lose anything from that partition because again, all my data is saved to the data partition

I've been able to resize partitions using the disk manager from inside windows. I tried gparted before, and it was fine. I think I right click the partition I want, and then click resize/make new partition from it. Then I merge new empty space with the one I want to make larger, I forget if this wipes that partition or not though so you might lose it (make a backup in case). I think you might lose the partition actually, I forgot if I formatted the new combined partition before or after the merge but if it was after, you lose data. I may not have been the most efficient though

there are youtube videos of it if you look for it, I had to do it when I made my partitions and I haven't done it for so long I don't remember complete steps. Now I fumble my way around it and get it right with a lot of cursing

Last edited by eyeb; 02. Oct 2018 at 08:50 PM.
eyeb is offline   Reply With Quote