View Single Post
Old 08. Apr 2016, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
MidnightCowboy
Site Manager

Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left

I'm not sure I understand exactly your post because you are talking about dual booting and replacement although I think a total replacement of Windows with Linux on this machine is what you intend? This being the case, once booted into a live session of Mint, run the Mint installer and choose the option "Erase disk and install Linux Mint". This will format your drive, wiping Windows in the process, and install the Linux boot loader so every time you start this machine thereafter, Mint will boot as the resident operating system.

If at some later point you decide say to dual boot this with another version of Linux, the second installer will (should ) see your Mint installation and then offer a choice between the two systems at boot. Just be sure to research dual booting with the second system chosen first to be sure of setting the right options during install.

The is an official user guide (PDF) available online for Linux Mint 17.2 if you Google it. This will tell you everything you need to know about installing Mint.