Thread: DVD-R problem
View Single Post
Old 25. Jan 2016, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Remah

This has got further away from the DVD-R problem but it is worth explaining why video formats are not 32-bit or 64-bit specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensioner 81 View Post
When I say a 32-bit or 64-bit video I mean video created on a 32 or 64 bit motherboard.
What I did with the .AVI video that would not play on Win10. I convertered the .AVI by selecting the same format AVI on Freemake v 4.1.4.0. (SO Win10 .AVI video to Freemake .AVI)
I also use the same Video player on both systems, Freesmith, or VLC both played the converted .AVI but not the converted .MPG.
AVI file conversions often cause problems between platforms and applications because of the different codecs installed on each system, the limitations of the conversion programs, and incomplete specification of the AVI container format. This is most likely to be the reason why you might think it is the CPUs making the difference.

AVI is a multimedia container format like most of the formats we usually store videos in. The container holds the video and information on the codec needed to decode it. The problem is that Older formats such as AVI do not support new codec features like B-frames, VBR audio or VFR video natively. The format may be "hacked" to add support, but this creates compatibility problems. In plain English, If AVI files are compressed using some codecs then in order to retrieve and play the file it requires the same codec to be installed on the machine.

Kyle Cassidy at videomaker.com uses more entertaining language when he says: Developed by Microsoft and released with Windows 3.1 way back when false teeth were still made out of wood, AVI files were once a workhorse of digital video. If I say “AVI is dead” the comments section will clog with people still using it, so I'll say that it's popularity has waned, but there is still lots of legacy AVI to be found all over the web. Short answer, don't output video to it, but keep a player handy.

His article is one of the better that I've read so it is worth a look regarding why MPG files should also be avoided. But some of what he says is already three years out of date so it's not so good on what you should use today. He doesn't even mention Matroska and H.265, for example.

What you are best to use depends on what you do with the videos. I'm no expert in this area but I use MP4 files primarily because I use Microsoft Office and they are embedded by default in PowerPoint (since 2013) to give the best playback performance. Other applications like VLC and PotPlayer don't care as long as they have the relevant codecs installed. Web browsers have their own idiosyncrasies but handle all main streaming formats I need.