View Single Post
Old 06. Apr 2015, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Melita-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe A.TT View Post
Have you checked to see if your laptop is dirty inside? That is one of the first things I would check.
This, I have not been able to do. Sometime back, for months I tried to find the disassembly instruction for this Acer model but without success. I went to every possible website on the Internet and found the details for dozens of Acer models but not this one. I even wrote to Acer, Taiwan, where my laptop was assembled but they refused to give me this information. I am reluctant to try this because I might pry up at the wrong place and do some damage. I have looked through the air intake grill and the fan seems quite clean. Perhaps because I always keep the laptop well covered at all times, that I am not actually using it. There isn't any dust even on the air intake grill. There is one panel that I was able to open because it was secured with screws, so it was straight forward. That is where there is access to the Hard Drive and the memory cards. There were only some very faint spots of dust, hardly visible. Nevertheless I used a blower and cleaned it up.
Quote:
You could monitor the hardware to see if maybe the temperature is higher than normal. Try running a program like the free and popular SpeedFan to see if you can pinpoint anything that may be amiss.
Do I just run the programme and wait for the results or have I to do any tweeking.I couldn't find any instructions on what to do, on the web site.

Quote:
It sometimes helps to provide extra information on your system, e.g. CPU, RAM, etc, etc. An easy way to do this is to run Speccy and post a link with your specs. (Tip: You can download the portable version and delete it afterwards). In Speccy, click File→Publish Snapshot then follow the prompts to copy the link to the clipboard and paste it here.
I did this and here is the link:

[edited]

There is something wrong with my Windows clip board. It doesn't open when I click on 'Copy to clipboard'. I manually copied it to Notepad and pasted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Why do you leave the computer running overnight? Is the computer needed on the whole time for some reason?

If there is no reason to leave it on, then just turn off the computer, and give it some rest. I think that the issues you are having are caused for two reasons (although I could be wrong as I am not an expert)... the computer components specially the CPU being heated up because of long hours of operation, and the sleep mode.
Oh, about every 5 days I switch off and give it a rest. Since the trouble started, many times I tried switching off at night but it did not resolve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I have never liked the sleep function.. my own personal opinion. My computer remains on for most of the day, and I use the screensaver, and then the display off, to save power.
Though the computer is on, I do the same thing during the day. I am not really a power user. Most of the day the computer is idling. From time to time when I have to check something on the Internet I go and do that. On an average day the actual usage is something like one hour.

Thank you,

Last edited by Anupam; 06. Apr 2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: edited out Speccy full report on account of security concerns
Melita-s is offline   Reply With Quote