View Single Post
Old 28. Jan 2015, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
MidnightCowboy
Site Manager

Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left

Deya was trying to post this yesterday but fell foul of our security filter. Finally, I've managed to get a connection and can post it on his behalf:

Vivaldi Browser - Technical Preview

I'm using the new Vivaldi browser, which at the moment is just a Technical Preview - not even an Alpha or Beta yet - so take note of that if you decide to try it.

That said, it runs fine for me so far, no crashes or anything, although there are bound to be a few glitches which, if I come across any, I'll post here.

The browser is Chromium / Webkit based. It's a 35MB download - and is 266 MB installed.

Similar to Opera - speed dial, menu button etc. But there is also a side panel which contains bookmarks, mail, contacts, downloads and notes, same as the 'old style' Opera. Mail doesn't work as yet, but will follow in future releases.

Best thing I can do is post a couple of links to reviews of the browser so you can read them yourself and hopefully form more of an opinion as to whether it might suit your needs.

For a first release, it's a good browser. Plenty of features to try out, settings are there, but slightly basic as yet. Tabs are interesting, colours change according to site etc, and you can also position them where it suits you best - top, left, right, or bottom.

You can close or open the side panel via a button at bottom left - in the status bar, and there's also a button to block images and also a content blocker, which blocks ads quite well.

No extensions as yet, but they're coming. Mouse gestures are built in. You can edit and add search engines - DDG and Startpage are there already. I've added a DDG URL so I get WOT ratings in results and set that to default. Bit quirky but it works.

Vivaldi was founded by Jon von Tetzchner, the ex CEO of Opera Software. They started the Vivaldi community last year, after Opera did away with Opera community - and now they've released a browser to accompany it.

I think this browser will be one to watch - it's available for Windows, Mac and Linux. I don't think these are the kind of guys who are going to mess about when it comes to developing the browser, so expect frequent updates.

I must say, it's good to have Notes built into the browser. I've missed that in Opera. And those who miss the Mail feature may want to take a look at this when it arrives in future releases.

A couple of links - reviews;

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/01/2...mer-ceo-opera/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/27/viv...four-browsers/

... search around and I'm sure you'll find more.

If you want to try it, as I said, it works well. No real problems so far for me. I'm just using it and finding my way around it. It's fast, but not not mega fast, and one or two sites may load slowly. Use 'advanced' during the install and check only the boxes you want - 'Set as Default' .... download location etc. But it installs and runs fine, no problem.

This browser just might put the cat amongst the pigeons, certainly for Opera. It's aimed at power users, the people Opera have alienated since they launched their new style browser. Should be interesting to see where this goes.