View Single Post
Old 22. Jan 2015, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Anupam
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned User View Post
Edit: Looks like it will be free for one year and then you have to pay for the future upgrade(s)/Service pack(s) etc,,,:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...or-first-year/
Articles like these are misleading people. I think it's quite clear about the upgrade from Windows Blog post:

Quote:
We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time.

*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge. Feature availability may vary by device. Some editions excluded. More details at http://www.windows.com.
It's clear that during the first year, upgrade to Windows 10 will be free, and once the upgrade has been done, all future upgrades, patches, service packs, etc will be free, without any charge.

Now, if anyone decided to take some other meaning out of it, it's their point of view.

They have put a "*" for this upgrade however. I had to follow links in order to get to the actual statement behind this, and I got it here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-10_Null_01

Please note that the above page didn't work properly for me on Firefox. You have to click on the "qualified" link under Free Upgrade Offer, to see what I post below. The link didn't work in Firefox, maybe because of ABP. Opened in IE, and then it worked.

It says on the above page:

Quote:
*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.
This further makes it clear.

The point that Joe was making, that the upgrade won't be offered for Windows 8 users... they have to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Similarly, Windows 7 users should be updated to Windows 7 SP1.

Considering that Windows 8.1 is offered as a free update, and it only betters Windows 8, this should be no big deal. Windows 8 users should have updated to Windows 8.1 by now anyways.

Thanks again Joe, for mentioning the key point about the free upgrade in the video. I think I will skip watching the video, as the main thing I wanted to know about, the free upgrade, I now know.

Will be waiting to see when they plan to release Windows 10.