View Single Post
Old 29. Nov 2014, 04:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
BuckSkin

I am far from being remotely close to knowledgeable about computers; but, if I understand what you are wanting to do, I believe what you are needing is to set up a "home group" or "work group" LAN network.

I just blundered through this procedure a few days ago and, much to my amazement, actually got it to work.

No hardware whatsoever was necessary and not a nickel was spent.

I just searched the web for "setting up a home network" and gathered the info I needed from several sources, both you-tube video and typed tutorials.

I managed to get three computers communicating with each other, able to go into either of the computers from whichever one I am using and find/use whatever file or image I am needing.

I also set up our single printer as a shared item between all three computers.

Our main computer is a HP desk-top with Windows 7, another desk-top is an ACER with Windows XP Media Center (which I recently found is capable of doing all sorts of neat things), and the third is a HP lap-top with Windows 7.

I have no idea how I went about accomplishing this feat, but if a dumbie like me can find the info and do it, anyone can.

One thing I will point out, whichever computer you want to remotely access MUST BE ON; it won't work if the computer that has the information you are retrieving is turned OFF.

There are plenty of people on this site that can walk you through this.
BuckSkin is offline   Reply With Quote