View Single Post
Old 29. Oct 2014, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Joe A.TT

Melita, I'm going to try to answer your questions. If I make a boo-boo and someone more knowledgeable comes along please correct me.

You are right. The links for UBCD4Win (i.e. links 2 and 3) lead to a domain which appears to be for sale. I don't understand what's going on there but I did a search and found the home site for UBCD4Win is now here: http://ubcd4win.org/ Maybe someone with the authority will read this and change the link.

You are right about the link for Knoppix too. Although it is also listed in the Live CD List the home page for Knoppix itself is http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html Once again, I hope someone will change it after reading this.

As for your numbered questions, here goes:
  1. As far as I'm aware, Live CD's are variants of the Linux operating system. You would normally download an ISO and burn it to a CD. You can then boot the CD into a "Live" instance of that Linux OS. Among other uses, Live CD's can come in handy when Windows cannot boot.
  2. I don't see any "Direct" download for UBCD in the Sourceforge link. I do see (a) a Magnet link that can be use if you are using BitTorrent, (b) Links to Mirror sites where you can download it, and (c) Links to older versions. On the whole, if you really want to download this software I'd recommend you get it here from Softpedia (which is a known and trustworthy site). And Yes, it should function the same whether you burn it to a CD or DVD. It's just that DVD's are a bit more expensive and could hold more (i.e. 4.36 GB compared to 700 MB for a CD). Why use a DVD if it can fit on a CD?
  3. On the Table of Contents of the UBCD (Sourceforge) page there's an entry for "Getting a Physical Copy". Is that what you are referring to? I don't know of any trustworthy dealers but why buy a CD or flashdrive when you can download the ISO and make one yourself? That's what I would do.
  4. I don't see any reference in the article about using an Ubuntu CD. All the same, you could download an ISO of Ubuntu, burn it to a CD, and boot it just like a Live CD.
Lastly, the subject of recovery tools (which this is all about) can be a bit challenging. I myself know very little about them. It's not that it's not a good thing to learn about nor am I trying to discourage you. I'm just letting you know what to be prepared for.

Last edited by Joe A.TT; 29. Oct 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Joe A.TT is offline   Reply With Quote