View Single Post
Old 01. Oct 2014, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Anablephobia

Question Bizarre folder; 29,382 files at 0 bytes?

Good evening. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. I have a question that perhaps someone could help with.

There's this folder that's been on my computer since April located at C:\. I've searched for it on search engines, which don't present a result for it. I've done full system scans with Spybot, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes, Norton, Super Anti-Spyware, Avast!, Avira, Panda Cloud and Bitdefender, which have reported no problems on this system (except for various false positives). The individual folder itself has been scanned with Spybot, Malwarebytes, Norton and Super Anti-Spyware, again, the folder was declared safe. Have used Kaspersky's TDSSKiller with all options enabled and that just came back with false positives from an old CD burning software I haven't uninstalled yet that came with the computer. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is always running and has blocked 2 exploits, both of which happened when going to the Microsoft Update site in I.E., so nothing is being exploited.

So, it's safe to say the folder is, well, safe. But it's bizarre. The folder is named F4tUUuGzL1[)D(l}6+axDuqJ2)sajD)d and contains 29,382 files but it takes up no room at a total of 0 bytes. The files don't seem to be associated with anything and they all have the same icon. Here are two screen caps (all I have is imgur, hope that is fine):

After right clicking > View > Details to check out the dates when created and modified, every last file was created April 15th, 2014 between the times of 4:51 AM and 4:57 AM, so all on the same date and within 6 minutes of each other. It's just so odd.

Does anyone know what this folder could be or what it's from? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Very sorry for the wall of words. I figured it'd be best to be detailed. If it means anything, my comp is Windows XP SP3 (yeah, I know, time to move on but procrastination is strong). Any other info, just ask and I'll post a screen cap of Speccy.

Thank you very much for your time and again, apologies for the wall of text.

P.S. Thank you so much for reviewing and bringing Geek Uninstaller, Clean Mem and Auslogics Disk Defrag to my attention. I don't know what I'd do without them, especially Clean Mem since this comp only has 1GB of RAM. Clean Mem has been a big help.
Anablephobia is offline   Reply With Quote