View Single Post
Old 17. Sep 2014, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
UserError

Default Android One could change the game

The Android One line of phones is a Google project that wants to reach “the next five billion users” by targeting emerging markets and India is the first country to launch them. There are different vendors, but the specs are the same: Quad-core 1.3 GHz Mediatek CPUs, two cameras (5 MP rear and 2 MP front), and 1 GB of RAM. Finally, they also pack two SIM cards and a microSD card slot, as well as a removable battery. They aren't the best equipped phones but promise to offer fluid software and hardware and OS updates that come straight from Google for up to 2 years (just like the Nexus devices). The Android One phones cost around €90 (give or take).

http://www.android.com/one/

The real deal here is that if you don't like Google or the stock Android because of the numerous Google apps it packs, MediaTek has just released the full kernel source for its SoC on Google’s Android repo, so any Linux junkie with programming skills can tweak the system as they please or create a new ROM just like CyanogenMOD.

I don't live in india, but I'd like to hear from someone there to let me know if it is as good as it sounds. I'd definitely sign up to this initiative, as carrying around a €200 - €600 smartphone is not the smartest thing to do nowadays.