Everybody likes to save time and here are three ways to get file and folder tasks done fast.
Manage Windows Explorer Favorites in Windows Vista/7
Windows Explorer contains an area on the left side for placing shortcuts to folders that you use often. In Windows 7, the area is near the top of the left pane and is called “Favorites”. In Vista, it is called “Favorite Links”. Adding or removing links is very easy. To add a link, just drag a folder from the right pane to the link area. To remove a link, right-click it and choose ”Remove” (Windows 7) or “Remove Link” (Vista). This also applies to the Open/Save dialog boxes.
The various favorites are actually shortcuts stored in a folder “Links”. For more detail on managing favorite links, see this article.
Rename files fast in Windows Vista/7
Do you ever need to rename a bunch of files? Here is a quick way to do it. Personally, I find "List" view to be best for this operation.
- Select the first file you wish to rename
- Press the function key F2
- Type in the desired new file name
- Press the "Tab" key. Do not press “Enter”
- Windows will automatically select the entire name of the next file, allowing you to type right over the old name. If you do not want to rename that particular file, press Tab again and the next file will be selected
- Type in the desired new name and press the Tab key again. Repeat until you reach the last file you want to rename.
- When you have renamed the last file, press the “Enter” key to finish.
Note that after you rename a file, it may jump to a new place in the list, depending on your settings. If that happens and a file suddenly appears in the middle of your list, just press Tab to go on to the next file.
Quickly access your most frequently used folders in Windows 7
Right-click the Explorer icon on the Taskbar. A list of the most frequently used folders and libraries is given in the context menu.
Get your own favorite tip published! Know a neat tech tip or trick? Then why not have it published here and receive full credit? Click here to tell us your tip.