This site lets you watch YouTube videos with maximum privacy.
Google collects an astonishing amount of data from anyone who uses their services. If you have a Google account and are logged in, the amount of personal data Google collects is larger. When you watch videos on YouTube, Google’s algorithm tracks what you watch and makes recommendations, some of which can be problematic, in particular for children.
Invidious is a frontend to YouTube where you can access all the videos on YouTube without ads or tracking. The site is clean, loads very quickly, there are recommended videos, and you can do all the things you normally do with YouTube. View comments, ratings, likes, dislikes, annotations. You can instantly switch to watching a video on YouTube. There is no autoplay, but if you want to see what's next, check the ‘Play next by default' box.
Logging in with Google or creating an Invidious account (a user name and password are all that is needed) lets you subscribe to videos, create playlists, view your watch history and more. The landing page has popular and trending sections that don’t change according to what you view. The Trending section has music, gaming, news and a movie section for suggested viewing. There are no recommended videos in your feed derived from being tracked by Google, so if you like seeing what’s trending or enjoy the recommendations YouTube provides, you may want to use YouTube instead.
There are many additional features:
* Audio-only mode (and no need to keep window open on mobile)
* Open-source (AGPLv3 licensed)
* No ads
* No need to create a Google account to save subscriptions
* Lightweight (homepage is ~4 KB compressed)
* Tools for managing subscriptions:
* Only show unseen videos
* Only show latest (or latest unseen) video from each channel
* Delivers notifications from all subscribed channels
* Automatically redirect homepage to feed
* Import subscriptions from YouTube
* Dark mode
* Embed support
* Set default player options (speed, quality, autoplay, loop)
* Does not require JS to play videos
* Support for Reddit comments in place of YT comments
* Import/Export subscriptions, watch history, preferences
* Does not use any of the official YouTube APIs
* Developer API
If you like to watch YouTube videos and enjoy a clean interface that loads fast, has no ads, doesn't suggest videos and doesn't track you, give Invidious a try.
You can find more Tech Treats here.
Please rate this article: