Gizmo’s Freeware is a community based site staffed entirely by volunteers. Everyone here including Gizmo freely donates their time to help promote the idea of free software for all.
Our community site actively encourages user comments and user submitted articles. While this is a good thing we do need to keep an eye on what's posted to ensure we maintain our high standards. This task falls to our moderators who check what's being posted and delete or edit inappropriate material.
What’s involved being a moderator?
Moderators are special privileged super-users who have the power to delete or modify comments and articles submitted by our site users.
The main job of moderators is to delete spam, offensive material or other comments that are in violation of our site policy.
The good news is that we have hardly any comment spam thanks to our highly effective spam filter.
And the amount of offensive, abusive and other inappropriate material is surprisingly small.
So in terms of volume there is not a great amount of work for moderators. However moderators need to regularly log in to check if there is a problem and delete or annotate inappropriate comments or user submitted items.
The time commitment is around 15 minutes a day. You don't have to login everyday as there are several moderators but the more regularly you can visit the site the better.
What you get
- The warm inner glow of participating in a worthy internet community project
- Get to be a mover and shaker. As a moderator you help shape the conversations on our site.
- You will have clout. As a moderator at a major website you will discover that software companies will actually listen to what you have to say.
- You get to share in our success. This site is highly respected, growing fast and is rapidly becoming the premium freeware review site on the web.
- You will get to mix it with Gizmo and our 60+ strong community in our closed forum reserved exclusively for site staff. Our moderators and editors are a talented, generous and good humoured bunch so come on in and join the fun.
OK you like the idea. So what’s next?
Use this form to contact Glyn, our Moderator Coordinator and write a short one paragraph outline of your background. If you have a commercial affiliation please state it.
Once you have sent off the form, Glyn will then guide you through the next steps.