Stack Exchange is a community based site that's a terrific resource for getting expert answers on wide variety of topics.
The site has 90+ topics to choose from, ranging from highly technical to everyday matters. I landed there via their Super User page dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users (highly recommended if you like hardware, software and personal computing).
Things I like about the site:
- You don't need to register to ask or answer questions and everyone has access to the archives.
- The community is active in fine tuning answers, with members able to vote on the usefulness of questions as well as edit them Wikipedia-style.
- The level of knowledge and expertise in the community is phenomenal. When they say the communities were created by and for experts and enthusiasts they are right on target.
- Searching is easy, with tags under each question and a recent tag list running down the right side of the page.
- Navigating and reading the material on the site is easy with a clear interface.
- Many of the communities have their own blogs and newsletters.
- Each community has a FAQ of its own, defining its scope of interest, etiquette, how to search, how to get help and more.
- The site has a stellar management team.
A few fun facts: the site has 90 Q&A sites, 2.4 million users, 4.8 million questions and 9.3 million answers. Well worth a visit. :)
Until next time,