Select a Security Category:
Discontinued or not updated recently (for at least three years). If there are both free and paid versions, this key applies only to the free version.
Item links to a Gizmo's Freeware 'Best Free' page.
Item or this icon links to a Gizmo's Freeware page.
Web application. Use of this key doesn't mean that there isn't a Windows application also available.
Browsers: FF = Firefox; Ch = Chrome; IE = Internet Explorer; OB = Other browsers; AB = All browsers.
- Basically, we have now full time jobs and other interests. So don't expect anything more than sporadic updates.
Recently Added Items
Check out what's new:
- Jun 11, 2016 Ghostpress
Recently Deleted Items
If there are objections to the recent deletion of any of these items, please let us know:
This list (earlier "Probably the Best Free Security List in the World") contains thousands of links to free security-related Windows desktop applications and web applications, with the goal of listing everything available that's not malicious or of low usefulness. This list doesn't include Windows desktop applications that work on only pre-Windows XP operating systems. This list also contains links to pages that contain security-related information. This list does not give recommendations (except for the My Choices page), but it contains links to other Gizmo's Freeware pages that give recommendations.
Use the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list at your discretion. We usually don't test the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list, and we usually don't scan the Windows desktop applications on this list with antivirus software. Some of the links in the Related Links section on this page give tips on deciding whether a given Windows desktop application or website is safe to use.
We periodically check all links on this list with Web of Trust. Only links that are rated by Web of Trust as green or unrated are shown as hyperlinks. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as yellow are shown as obfuscated links. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as red aren't allowed on this list. Links that directly link to files are shown as obfuscated links. To change an obfuscated link into a valid link, copy and paste the obfuscated link to your browser's address bar, then replace [COLON] with : and [DOT] with a period.
- All articles in security category #1
- All articles in security category #2
- Computer Security Guides and Articles (contains some articles that aren't in either security category)
- What Else Have You Just Downloaded?
- How to Make a Quick and Easy Online Antivirus Check of a File or App Before Downloading it
- How to Tell if a File is Malicious
- How to Tell If A Website Is Dangerous
- Best Free Antivirus Software
- Best Free Trojan Horse Scanning And Removal Software
- Introduction to Light Virtualization
- Best Free Virtualization Solutions
This list is maintained by volunteer editors ako (Antti Koponen), J_L (Jeff Liu), and MrBrian.
(c) 2009-2016 Antti Koponen
Please rate this article: