Select a Security Category:
Discontinued or not updated recently (for at least three years). If there are both free and paid versions, this key applies only to the free version.
Item links to a Gizmo's Freeware 'Best Free' page.
Item or this icon links to a Gizmo's Freeware page.
Web application. Use of this key doesn't mean that there isn't a Windows application also available.
Browsers: FF = Firefox; Ch = Chrome; IE = Internet Explorer; OB = Other browsers; AB = All browsers.
- Apr. 15, 2015: This list was formerly known as Probably the Best Free Security List in the World. The list was split into many articles. Some keys were removed. Paid items were removed. All links, except for intra-list navigation links, should now open in a separate tab or window when clicked. The links in the Related Links section of this page have changed. Section Recently Deleted Items has been added to this page. Numerous formatting changes were made.
Apr. 23, 2015:
We have begun using an automated link checker to identify broken and redirected links. Broken links will be repaired if possible or else deleted. This has not begun yet.
- May 9, 2015: Section "All Items" has been added to this page. It contains a link allowing you to view the entire list on a single page.
- May 10, 2015: Key "Discontinued or not updated recently" has been introduced.
- May 12, 2015: Work is underway on reviewing and revising every page at mostly section-level granularity. When that is finished (which is expected to be 4-12 weeks from now), the list will be reorganized at the section-level.
- Aug 5, 2015: Sorry for the inactivity guys! We just had other things going on in our lives. This is J_L and I will try to get back into adding new software and whatnot. Hopefully MrBrian will finish tidying things up as well, and we can continue full force! Added my security setup and recommendations in case anyone is interested.
- Aug 10, 2015: Hopefully final revision of My Choices, enjoy!
Recently Added Items
Check out what's new:
- Apr. 15, 2015: Best Free Intrusion Prevention and Detection Utility for Home Use (HIPS), Comparison of online backup services, Comparison of file hosting services, Comparison of file synchronization software, Comparison of backup software, Types of Backup Software, Remailer Reliability Stats, Sysmon, RollBack Home Edition, Portable-VirtualBox, Bluhell Firewall, OSFClone, Google Software Removal Tool, VoodooShield, uMatrix, ublock0, uBlock, CipherShed, NTLite, MZWriteScanner, ExecutableTracker, TrustWalk, QueryDosDevices, Windows XP SP4 Unofficial, Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP, BeeDoctor, volatility, TargetAnalyser, Syncthing, HP Trust Circles, Client HyperV, AnalyzePESig, ImageUSB, DriveTheLife, ListModules, ListDLLs, McAfee Raptor, SigcheckGUI, El Jefe, Softpedia's list: Back-Up and Recovery, Softpedia's list: File Sharing, MajorGeek's list: Back Up, AlternativeTo's list: Backup & Sync
- Apr. 22, 2015: Open Source Storage: 49 Tools for Backup and Recovery, 34 Free Backup Software Tools, 33 Free Cloud Storage Services, 11 Free Online Backup Plans, List of backup software, File Synchronizer
- Apr. 25, 2015: HiJackThis portable, HiJackThis, Safe Admin
- Apr. 26, 2015: Noriben, HTTP Request Logger, TestCrypt, Tribler, Webmail Ad Blocker (FF,Ch), CrypTool, SecurStick
- May 5, 2015: Dropbox vs. Carbonite: The difference between cloud-based storage and backup, Mozy Sync, List of disk cloning software, Comparison of disk cloning software, Best Free Data Recovery and File Un-delete Utility
- May 6, 2015: Features of free vs. paid version (for HitmanPro.Alert)
- May 7, 2015: Bouncer developer's blog, Best Free Encrypted Virtual Drive Utility, Best Free Encryption Utility for Cloud Storage, Best Free Encryption Utility for Personal Use at Work
- May 8, 2015: uBlock (FF, Ch, OB), uBlock Origin (FF, Ch, OB), uMatrix (Ch, FF, OB)
- May 9, 2015: HIPS Explained
- May 10, 2015: Kerio Personal Firewall, List of router and firewall distributions, Wilders Security Forums discussion thread about this list, Active Disk Image Lite, GImageX, Create An Integrated Up To Date Windows 7 Install Disc, Viivo, privacytools.io, RegistryScanner, gpg2winshell, Payload Security, Malwr, Policeman, BinScope, Avira Browser Safety, ShadowCrypt, ThreatFinder, ASEPMonitor
- May 13, 2015: All-Seeing Eye
- May 29, 2015: What does Potentially Unwanted Program mean?, Understanding tech language: The difference between malware and a virus, Not All “Viruses” Are Viruses: 10 Malware Terms Explained, 23 Free On-Demand Virus Scanners, 11 Free Online Virus Scanners, Run System File Checker Offline, G Data Downloads, Trend Micro free anti-malware tools, McAfee Virus Removal Tools, Panda Cloud Cleaner Rescue ISO, Panda Cloud Cleaner rescue USB drive, Panda Cloud Cleaner portable version, Comodo Rescue Disk, ESET SysRescue Live, G Data BootMedium, Sophos Bootable Anti-Virus, Trend Micro Rescue Disk, Avast Rescue Disk, Bitdefender definitions, Emsisoft definitions, F-Secure definitions, IKARUS definitions, K7 definitions, Kaspersky definitions, McAfee definitions, Panda definitions, Quick Heal definitions, Sophos definitions, Symantec definitions, Trend Micro definitions, Twister definitions, VIPRE definitions, How to Clean An Infected Computer, Sunbelt Personal Firewall (trial), Sunbelt Personal Firewall functionality present after trial is over
- May 30, 2015: EQSecure
- Aug 5, 2015: NoVirusThanks Smart Object Blocker, WITCH?, Driver Radar Pro, SSL Eye,
- Aug 6, 2015: Fix Windows 10 privacy, Ad-Aware Web Companion, Scramble.io, RuggedInbox.com, SCRYPTmail, friGate, Kullo, Dstrux, Martus, Peerio, Freepto, Subrosa, Confidant Mail, SecretLayer, Browsec, Matrix, StegoTorus
- Aug 7, 2015: Peek, MemTest86, Mikogo, HashCheck, KeyWallet, Amic Email Backup, Cloudifile, Google Toolbar, 360 Total Security Essential, 360 Total Security
- Aug 10, 2015: Simple Machine Protect, FREEWARE GUIDE - Utilities - Backup, FREEWARE GUIDE - Utilities - Security & Encryption, Norton Satellite, , DoNotSpy10, Destroy Windows 10 Spying, Windows 10 Privacy Fixer, DisableWinTracking, AnyDesk
- Aug 13, 2015: Remove Windows 10 Spying Features, Lavaboom, GhostMail
- Aug 16, 2015: Security and So Many Things, Comparison of Windows 10 Privacy tools,
- Aug 18, 2015: Hosts Block, Kali Linux
- Aug 22, 2015: Easy service optimizer, Windows 10: which services to disable?, McAfee Free Antivirus Beta, O&O ShutUp10, A comprehensive list of Firefox privacy and security settings, demonsaw, Understanding and Dealing with the Windows 10 Privacy Issue, , Spybot Anti-Beacon, Windows8FirewallPanel, Whiteout Mail, How To Stop Windows 10 From Phoning Home
- Aug 27, 2015: , Windows 10 and Privacy, 10 Ad Blocking Extensions Tested for Best Performance, Approved Windows 10 Security Products
Recently Deleted Items
If there are objections to the recent deletion of any of these items, please let us know:
- Apr. 15, 2015: Anonymous Remailers - gzzt[DOT]org/pages/anonymous-remailers.php, PE Guard, ZenOK
- Apr. 20, 2015: Filemail, Send Genie, Gigasize, Rapidshare, Sendspace, HideMyAss, FileDropper, Hotfile, YourFileLink, Pando, Megashares, Mejuba, JumboFiles, Shared.com, FileCanyon, MailBigFile, Pipe
- Apr. 21, 2015: Minus (FF, Ch), , DropGallery, Back up the registry
- Apr. 22, 2015: SugarSync, LojiklSweep, Insync
- Apr. 26, 2015: Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Simply Mepis, Linux Mint, Icaros Desktop, Syllable Desktop, FreeDOS, Haiku, LoseThos
- May 5, 2015: Ubuntu One, Comodo Cloud, CX, AVG LiveKive
- May 6, 2015: CryptoGuard
- May 7, 2015: QueryDosDevices
- May 8, 2015: Hardware Firewalls/NAT Routers
- May 10, 2015: iolo Personal Firewall, Astaro Security Gateway, urlfilter, Vyatta Core
- May 12, 2015: HTTP Antivirus Proxy, SquidGuard, Analyzing outgoing network traffic, WebsiteDefender, QualysGuard Malware Detection
- May 29, 2015: Emsisoft, Windowssecurity, Superantispyware, Bluepoint, Comodo, Rising, Zoner, Top 10 Free Online Virus scanners, Clamwin, Novirusthanks, Novirusthanks Uploader, Viruschief, AVC UnDroid, NetQin Online Virus Scan, Online Armor Cloudscan, MalAware, Comodo Cloud Scanner, Smitfraudfix, Anti-malware toolkit, CaSIR, Cuckoo Sandbox, ESET Rogue Applications Remover, G Data FakeAVCleaner, Trend Micro FakeAV Removal Tool, Babylon Toolbar Adware Information and Complete Removal, Avira AntiVir Removal Tool, Sergiwa Antiviral Toolkit, Multi Virus Cleaner, Bitdefender downloads, Panda Software removal tools, ZoneAlarm removal tools, FakeAV Remover, ThreatExpert Memory Scanner, FITSEC Banking Trojan Detection Tool, SMaRT, RootkitAnalytics, NT Internals, AntiRootkit, Ainvo Antivirus, ArcaVir MicroScan, Guardiano Assembler, Ashampoo Virus Quickscan Free, Total Defense Threat Scanner, Panda Antivirus Command Line Scanner, Panda Antivirus Command Line Scanner GUI frontend, Sophos Anti-Virus 32-bit command line interface, ESET, Panda SafeCD, Spybot LiveCD, PC Tools AOSS, Calendar of Updates, Definitions updates download, Ad-Aware definitions, Anti-malware Tool Downloads, Where malware hides?, Atribune, Remove fake antivirus, Malware Help
- June 2, 2015: Norman Malware Cleaner, Norman Sandbox
- Aug 7, 2015: Passwordcard Generator Cardtype 1, 360 Internet Security
- Aug 27, 2015: ,
- Aug 30, 2015: Immunicity, Media Hint
This list contains thousands of links to free security-related Windows desktop applications and web applications, with the goal of listing everything available that's not malicious or of low usefulness. This list doesn't include Windows desktop applications that work on only pre-Windows XP operating systems. This list also contains links to pages that contain security-related information. This list does not give recommendations (except for the My Choices page), but it contains links to other Gizmo's Freeware pages that give recommendations.
Use the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list at your discretion. We usually don't test the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list, and we usually don't scan the Windows desktop applications on this list with antivirus software. Some of the links in the Related Links section on this page give tips on deciding whether a given Windows desktop application or website is safe to use.
We periodically check all links on this list with Web of Trust. Only links that are rated by Web of Trust as green or unrated are shown as hyperlinks. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as yellow are shown as obfuscated links. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as red aren't allowed on this list. Links that directly link to files are shown as obfuscated links. To change an obfuscated link into a valid link, copy and paste the obfuscated link to your browser's address bar, then replace [COLON] with : and [DOT] with a period.
- All articles in security category #1
- All articles in security category #2
- Computer Security Guides and Articles (contains some articles that aren't in either security category)
- What Else Have You Just Downloaded?
- How to Make a Quick and Easy Online Antivirus Check of a File or App Before Downloading it
- How to Tell if a File is Malicious
- How to Tell If A Website Is Dangerous
- Best Free Antivirus Software
- Best Free Trojan Horse Scanning And Removal Software
- Introduction to Light Virtualization
- Best Free Virtualization Solutions
This list is maintained by volunteer editors ako (Antti Koponen), J_L (Jeff Liu), and MrBrian.
c) 2009-2015 Antti Koponen