Select a Security Category:
Discontinued or not updated recently (for at least three years). If there are both free and paid versions, this key applies only to the free version.
Item links to a Gizmo's Freeware 'Best Free' page.
Item or this icon links to a Gizmo's Freeware page.
Web application. Use of this key doesn't mean that there isn't a Windows application also available.
Browsers: FF = Firefox; Ch = Chrome; IE = Internet Explorer; OB = Other browsers; AB = All browsers.
- Apr. 15, 2015: This list was formerly known as Probably the Best Free Security List in the World. The list was split into many articles. Some keys were removed. Paid items were removed. All links, except for intra-list navigation links, should now open in a separate tab or window when clicked. The links in the Related Links section of this page have changed. Section Recently Deleted Items has been added to this page. Numerous formatting changes were made.
Apr. 23, 2015:
We have begun using an automated link checker to identify broken and redirected links. Broken links will be repaired if possible or else deleted. This has not begun yet.
- May 9, 2015: Section "All Items" has been added to this page. It contains a link allowing you to view the entire list on a single page.
- May 10, 2015: Key "Discontinued or not updated recently" has been introduced.
- May 12, 2015: Work is underway on reviewing and revising every page at mostly section-level granularity. When that is finished (which is expected to be 4-12 weeks from now), the list will be reorganized at the section-level.
- Aug 5, 2015: Sorry for the inactivity guys! We just had other things going on in our lives. This is J_L and I will try to get back into adding new software and whatnot. Hopefully MrBrian will finish tidying things up as well, and we can continue full force! Added my security setup and recommendations in case anyone is interested.
- Aug 10, 2015: Hopefully final revision of My Choices, enjoy!
Recently Added Items
Check out what's new:
- Aug 5, 2015: NoVirusThanks Smart Object Blocker, WITCH?, Driver Radar Pro, SSL Eye,
- Aug 6, 2015: Fix Windows 10 privacy, Ad-Aware Web Companion, Scramble.io, RuggedInbox.com, SCRYPTmail, friGate, Kullo, Dstrux, Martus, Peerio, Freepto, Subrosa, Confidant Mail, SecretLayer, Browsec, Matrix, StegoTorus
- Aug 7, 2015: Peek, MemTest86, Mikogo, HashCheck, KeyWallet, Amic Email Backup, Cloudifile, Google Toolbar, 360 Total Security Essential, 360 Total Security
- Aug 10, 2015: Simple Machine Protect, FREEWARE GUIDE - Utilities - Backup, FREEWARE GUIDE - Utilities - Security & Encryption, Norton Satellite, , DoNotSpy10, Destroy Windows 10 Spying, Windows 10 Privacy Fixer, DisableWinTracking, AnyDesk
- Aug 13, 2015: Remove Windows 10 Spying Features, Lavaboom, GhostMail
- Aug 16, 2015: Security and So Many Things, Comparison of Windows 10 Privacy tools,
- Aug 18, 2015: Hosts Block, Kali Linux
- Aug 22, 2015: Easy service optimizer, Windows 10: which services to disable?, McAfee Free Antivirus Beta, O&O ShutUp10, A comprehensive list of Firefox privacy and security settings, demonsaw, Understanding and Dealing with the Windows 10 Privacy Issue, , Spybot Anti-Beacon, Windows8FirewallPanel, Whiteout Mail, How To Stop Windows 10 From Phoning Home
- Aug 27, 2015: , Windows 10 and Privacy, 10 Ad Blocking Extensions Tested for Best Performance, Approved Windows 10 Security Products
- Sep 9, 2015: Are Recent Patches to Windows 7/8 Letting Microsoft Spy on You?, Betternet, Password Alert, Poper Blocker, Wallcy, Cryptomator, Windows Privacy Tweaker, Best Free VPN, BlockWindows, Remove telemetry updates for Windows 7 and 8.1, Ashampoo AntiSpy for Windows 10
- Sep 23, 2015: , Decrap My Computer, Make It Easier To Trace The Source Of Email, How to Check and Edit the Privacy Settings for Accounts at Microsoft and Google, MicEnum, CCleaner Cloud, CanvasBlocker, CanvasFingerprintBlock, Disable Speculative Pre-connections, Keyboard Privacy
- Oct. 9, 2015: , Xvirus Personal Guard, Xvirus Personal Firewall, SecureLive Antivirus Free Home Edition, Renee Becca, , More About Privacy Settings in Windows 10, Increase Your Privacy by Turning off the Diagnostics Tracking Service in Windows 7, Verisign Public DNS, AdNauseam, cyscon Security Shield, Shade Anti-Malware, Windows Update MiniTool
- Oct. 12, 2015: AdvancedRun, ConfigFox
Recently Deleted Items
If there are objections to the recent deletion of any of these items, please let us know:
- Aug 7, 2015: Passwordcard Generator Cardtype 1, 360 Internet Security
- Aug 27, 2015: ,
- Aug 30, 2015: Immunicity, Media Hint
- Sep 9, 2015: More, PasswordFail
- Oct. 9, 2015: Rising PC doctor
- Oct 12, 2015: Easy Way to Set Cookie Rules and Other Permissions in Firefox for Individual Sites
This list (earlier "Probably the Best Free Security List in the World") contains thousands of links to free security-related Windows desktop applications and web applications, with the goal of listing everything available that's not malicious or of low usefulness. This list doesn't include Windows desktop applications that work on only pre-Windows XP operating systems. This list also contains links to pages that contain security-related information. This list does not give recommendations (except for the My Choices page), but it contains links to other Gizmo's Freeware pages that give recommendations.
Use the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list at your discretion. We usually don't test the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list, and we usually don't scan the Windows desktop applications on this list with antivirus software. Some of the links in the Related Links section on this page give tips on deciding whether a given Windows desktop application or website is safe to use.
We periodically check all links on this list with Web of Trust. Only links that are rated by Web of Trust as green or unrated are shown as hyperlinks. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as yellow are shown as obfuscated links. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as red aren't allowed on this list. Links that directly link to files are shown as obfuscated links. To change an obfuscated link into a valid link, copy and paste the obfuscated link to your browser's address bar, then replace [COLON] with : and [DOT] with a period.
- All articles in security category #1
- All articles in security category #2
- Computer Security Guides and Articles (contains some articles that aren't in either security category)
- What Else Have You Just Downloaded?
- How to Make a Quick and Easy Online Antivirus Check of a File or App Before Downloading it
- How to Tell if a File is Malicious
- How to Tell If A Website Is Dangerous
- Best Free Antivirus Software
- Best Free Trojan Horse Scanning And Removal Software
- Introduction to Light Virtualization
- Best Free Virtualization Solutions
This list is maintained by volunteer editors ako (Antti Koponen), J_L (Jeff Liu), and MrBrian.
(c) 2009-2016 Antti Koponen
Please rate this article: