Select a Security Category:
Item links to a Gizmo's Freeware 'Best Free' page
Item or this icon links to a Gizmo's Freeware page
FF = Firefox; Ch = Chrome; IE = Internet Explorer; OB = Other browsers; AB = All browsers
Only provides malware detection (in the free version, if there are free and paid versions)
- Apr. 15, 2015: This list was formerly known as Probably the Best Free Security List in the World. The list was split into many articles. Some keys were removed. Paid items were removed. All links, except for intra-list navigation links, should now open in a separate tab or window when clicked. The links in the Related Links section of this page have changed. Section Recently Deleted Items has been added to this page. Numerous formatting changes were made.
Apr. 23, 2015: We have begun using an automated link checker to identify broken
and redirectedlinks. Broken links will be repaired if possible or else deleted.
Recently Added Items
Check out what's new:
- Dec. 14, 2014: Detekt, ProtonMail, RequestPolicy Continued, Trend Micro Anti-Threat Toolkit, GlassWire, ReHIPS, Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool, Adware Removal Tool, Secure Folders, Spark Security Browser, Ad Muncher, SuperExec, Raise My Rights
- Apr. 15, 2015: Best Free Intrusion Prevention and Detection Utility for Home Use (HIPS), Comparison of online backup services, Comparison of file hosting services, Comparison of file synchronization software, Comparison of backup software, Types of Backup Software, Remailer Reliability Stats, Sysmon, RollBack Home Edition, Portable-VirtualBox, Bluhell Firewall, OSFClone, Google Software Removal Tool, VoodooShield, µMatrix, ublock0, µBlock, CipherShed, NTLite, MZWriteScanner, ExecutableTracker, TrustWalk, QueryDosDevices, Windows XP SP4 Unofficial, Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP, BeeDoctor, volatility, TargetAnalyser, Syncthing, HP Trust Circles, Client HyperV, AnalyzePESig, ImageUSB, DriveTheLife, ListModules, ListDLLs, McAfee Raptor, SigcheckGUI, El Jefe, Softpedia's list: Back-Up and Recovery, Softpedia's list: File Sharing, MajorGeek's list: Back Up, AlternativeTo's list: Backup & Sync
- Apr. 22, 2015: Open Source Storage: 49 Tools for Backup and Recovery, 34 Free Backup Software Tools, 33 Free Cloud Storage Services, 11 Free Online Backup Plans, List of backup software, File Synchronizer
- Apr. 25, 2015: HiJackThis portable, HiJackThis, Safe Admin
- Apr. 26, 2015: Noriben, HTTP Request Logger, TestCrypt, Tribler, Webmail Ad Blocker; (FF,Ch), CrypTool, SecurStick
Recently Deleted Items
If there are objections to the recent deletion of any of these items, please let us know:
- Apr. 15, 2015: Anonymous Remailers - gzzt[DOT]org/pages/anonymous-remailers.php, PE Guard, ZenOK
- Apr. 20, 2015: Filemail, Send Genie, Gigasize, Rapidshare, Sendspace, HideMyAss, FileDropper, Hotfile, YourFileLink, Pando, Megashares, Mejuba, JumboFiles, Shared.com, FileCanyon, MailBigFile, Pipe
- Apr. 21, 2015: Minus (FF, Ch), , DropGallery, Back up the registry
- Apr. 22, 2015: SugarSync, LojiklSweep, Insync
- Apr. 26, 2015: Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Simply Mepis, Linux Mint, Icaros Desktop, Syllable Desktop, FreeDOS, Haiku, LoseThos
This list contains thousands of links to free security-related Windows desktop applications and web applications, with the goal of listing everything available that's not malicious or of low usefulness. This list doesn't include Windows desktop applications that work on only pre-Windows XP operating systems. This list also contains links to pages that contain security-related information. This list does not give recommendations (except for the My Choices page), but it contains links to other Gizmo's Freeware pages that give recommendations.
Use the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list at your discretion. We usually don't test the Windows desktop applications or web applications on this list, and we usually don't scan the Windows desktop applications on this list with antivirus software. Some of the links in the Related Links section on this page give tips on deciding whether a given Windows desktop application or website is safe to use.
We periodically check all links on this list with Web of Trust. Only links that are rated by Web of Trust as green or unrated are shown as hyperlinks. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as yellow are shown as obfuscated links. Links that are rated by Web of Trust as red aren't allowed on this list. Links that directly link to files are shown as obfuscated links. To change an obfuscated link into a valid link, copy and paste the obfuscated link to your browser's address bar, then replace [COLON] with : and [DOT] with a period.
Use the comments section below or this forum thread to let us know about issues, or suggestions for items that could be added to the list.
- All articles in security category #1
- All articles in security category #2
- Computer Security Guides and Articles (contains some articles that aren't in either security category)
- What Else Have You Just Downloaded?
- How to Make a Quick and Easy Online Antivirus Check of a File or App Before Downloading it
- How to Tell if a File is Malicious
- How to Tell If A Website Is Dangerous
- Best Free Antivirus Software
- Best Free Trojan Horse Scanning And Removal Software
- Introduction to Light Virtualization
- Best Free Virtualization Solutions
This list is maintained by volunteer editors ako (Antti Koponen), J_L (Jeff Liu), and MrBrian.
c) 2009-2015 Antti Koponen