This anniversary ebook by Smashing Magazine contains the best articles that have been published in the last five years.
One of the premiere sites in web design and development, Smashing Magazine has created a free downloadable ebook to celebrate its fifth anniversary.
They describe it best ".......the anniversary book discusses usability issues and the principles of effective Web design. It covers the guidelines for beautiful and effective typography, and it spotlights methods of responsive Web design. In addition, you’ll learn how to master professional Photoshop techniques, explore storytelling in your designs, and focus on three key areas to polish your content strategy. Never thought that harmony between designers and developers was possible? Dig in to see how the two camps can collaborate productively and learn from each other."
You can check the site for previews of the book and download it in PDF, ePUB and Mobipocket formats.
Here's a look at the Table of Contents:
Table of Contents
- “Thirty Usability Issues to Be Aware Of” — Vitaly Friedman
- “Ten Principles of Effective Web Design” — Vitaly Friedman
- “Clever JPEG Optimization Techniques” — Sergey Chikuyonok
- “Typographic Design Patterns and Best Practices” — Smashing Editorial team
- “Ten Useful Usability Findings and Guidelines” — Dmitry Fadeyev
- “Setting Up Photoshop for Web and iPhone Development” — Marc Edwards
- “The Ails of Typographic Anti-Aliasing” — Tom Giannattasio
- “Mastering Photoshop: Noise, Textures and Gradients” — Marc Edwards
- “Better User Experience With Storytelling” — Francisco Inchauste
- “The Beauty of Typography, Writing Systems and Calligraphy” — Jessica Bordeau
- “Web Designers, Don’t Do It Alone” — Paul Boag
- “Making Your Mark on the Web Is Easier Than You Think” — Christian Heilmann
- “Responsive Web Design: What It Is and How to Use It” — Kayla Knight
- “I Want to Be a Web Designer When I Grow Up” — Michael Aleo
- “Persuasion Triggers in Web Design” — David Travis
- “What Font Should I Use?” — Dan Mayer
- “The Design Matrix: A Powerful Tool for Guiding Client Input” — Bridget Fahrland
- “Why User Experience Cannot Be Designed” — Helge Fredheim
- “Dear Web Design Community, Where Have You Gone?” — Vitaly Friedman
- “Make Your Content Make a Difference” — Colleen Jones
- “Two Cats in a Sack: Designer-Developer Discord” — Cassie McDaniel
- “Print Loves Web” — Mark Cossey
The whole website is a treasure trove of information, and you won't want to miss the other two sites connected to Smashing Magazine:
Noupe - The Curious Side of Smashing Magazine and
Design Informer | The Latest in Web Design and Graphic Design for more great content.
Off for now,