There are hundreds of free tools for doing Windows administrative and management tasks. The site 4sysops has put together a large list that is worth looking at. When I last checked, it contained 389 applications. Many of these are quite specialized but the list also contains a substantial number that are of general interest, including familiar names that you will find in the recommendations at Gizmo’s. The author of the list has divided it into categories and I have put links below to the categories that I think most appropriate for Gizmo’s readers. Take a look – you may find some useful utilities you didn’t know about.
- Free Windows Backup Tools
- Free Windows Command Line Tools
- Free Windows Desktop Management Tools
- Free Windows File Management Tools
- Free Windows Group Policy Tools
- Free Windows Hardware Tools
- Free Windows Imaging Tools
- Free Windows Monitoring Tools
- Free Windows Networking Tools
- Free Windows Password Management Tools
- Free Windows Patch Management Tools
- Free Windows Process Management Tools
- Free Windows Registry Tools
- Free Windows Security Tools
- Free Windows Troubleshooting Tools
- Free Windows UAC Tools
Please note that these links are not recommendations but are informational only and are for you to explore. Many of the products in these links do in fact appear on one or the other of Gizmo's Best Free lists but many do not. I hope readers will try out some of these and let us know what works. Who knows? You may find something really good and can put the rest of us on to a new discovery. You might even write your own tip! Tell us what you find in the comments. (Don't forget to back up your system before trying new stuff.)
Get your own favorite tip published! Know a neat tech tip or trick? Then why not have it published here and receive full credit? Click here to tell us your tip.
This tips section is maintained by Vic Laurie. Vic runs several websites with Windows how-to's, guides, and tutorials, including a site for learning about Windows and the Internet and another with Windows 7 tips.