Computer jigsaws can be an educational pastime, excellent for killing time or relieving stress, and a great fun game for family and children to share.
Most programs come with a set of pictures in various numbers of pieces. What"s more? Some good free programs have a cool feature to allow you to create a jigsaw puzzle from your own pictures to give it a personal touch. This makes the puzzle even more fun and interesting.
Go straight to the Quick Selection Guide
Jigs@w Puzzle Free is our Top Pick, has a good 3D design and is pre-installed with 10 pictures ranging from 12 to 126 pieces in the free version.
Among the puzzles available from the program, the first one in 74 pieces will give you a surprise. Solving the puzzle is like assembling a car, because the picture is cut into the shapes of its parts and accessories.
Want to create a puzzle of your own? Try its free wizard, Jigs@w Puzzle Promo Creator, which is a separate program. It makes a puzzle from your preferred pictures - up to 40 pieces in the free version. Just 'build a puzzle' and skip the other steps (like 'defining a banner' and 'alternative text'). Your created puzzle will have a small advertisement line at the bottom of the screen, but I don't find it intrusive.
Dinosaur Jigsaw Puzzle comes pre-installed with 12 dino pictures for kids. Choose one to start a game, then adjust to any of the 4 levels of difficulty (from under 25 pieces to over 100). Each piece successfully fitted is greeted each time by a pleasant sound.
Really can't fix a piece at a certain stage? Then let the program solve a piece one at a time, or even the whole puzzle. The program reveals time spent on each game.
Dinosaur Jigsaw Puzzle is more than a puzzle of dinosaur pictures. It allows you to make your own jigsaw puzzle from your lovely photo collection or favorite pictures in jpg, gif or bmp formats. A standalone executable file will be generated by the program for running or sharing the puzzle of your choice with friends and relatives.
BigJig is a nice jigsaw puzzle full of features. Number of pieces can be set from a few 10's to over 1,000 pieces depending on each jigsaw, cut in one edgeless shape or in 8 curl shapes, with optional rotation. A puzzle can be solved in a plain or shaped frame, or even without a frame to increase the difficulty level.
Other features include pieces embossing types, thumbnail, fit to screen, 4 pockets and 2 windows, auto saving games and saving solved puzzles into bmp files, etc.
This program is pre-installed with 8 jigsaws. Players can download a free jigsaw, replaced with a new one every week, from here. Sadly more jigsaw sets are available only to paid users. This program does not have a built-in jigsaw creator using your own pictures. A separate creator is for paid users only.
Picpuz, a free Linux jigsaw puzzle program, stands out on its own by adopting a new idea. All puzzle pieces are presented right in front on the board and not scattering around. To solve a puzzle, just click any two pieces, each at a time, to swap them.
You can open an image file you like, set tile size, click "randomize tiles" and you are ready with a puzzle to solve. You can also save a puzzle at any time to a file, and open it again to solve the puzzle when you're free.
Too difficult to solve a puzzle? click "move one tile home" or even "move ten tiles home" to make life easier.
Check out these jigsaw puzzle games too:
- Jigzo, a simple yet well-designed open source program, contains 12 photo puzzles ranging from 4 to 15 puzzle pieces, supports rotating pieces and sound effects. This game is easy to play and suitable for children, runs in Windows and Linux (also downloadable from Ubuntu Software Center).
Enjoy these educational, refreshing or interesting jigsaw puzzles:
- Jigsaw Puzzle Gallery at JigZone, choose a puzzle from a gallery of beautiful pictures of animals, art, flowers, scenes and other categories, change cuts into 6 to 247 pieces in different shapes. Too difficult to solve? Click 'Auto Solve'.
- USA Map Jigsaw Games, drag the states to their correct places on the map in 5 levels of difficulty.
- Solar System Jigsaw, drag and drop each orbiting body into its right place (in 'planet', 'moon' or 'hardware' satellite levels) and then see their relative speeds as they move around the sun.
- National Geographic lets you time yourself as you solve jigsaw puzzles of selected nice photos featuring the Daily Dozen from Your Shot, with user settings for backdrop, piece size, rotation and showing assembly rectangle.
- JSPuzzles offers tons of jigsaw puzzles in various sizes. You can easily select one to play from the gallery or try the daily puzzle with a different theme and get your best time recorded in the Hall of Fame.
- Flash Puzzle Zone gives you top ten jigsaws and a refreshing daily puzzle to solve with a list of high scores. The image of the puzzle changes everyday.
- Just Jigsaw Puzzles, more than 1,800 jigsaw puzzles you can play online, plus a new jigsaw puzzle featured every day. Adjust the level of difficulty, cutting types, enlarge the picture, click 'start' and play.
- Jigsaw Planet, create your own puzzles with difficulty levels, shapes and rotations, play your own or common puzzles or even send puzzles to friends.
- Jigidi lets you play puzzles created by other members with filters by category and size, or sign in to create your own in three easy steps—select a picture from your computer, adjust for pieces, give a title and your puzzle is jigged for play.
- Jigsaw Break, press a button to generate a random jigsaw, or create one using an image of your own choice from the internet, in any level of difficulty starting from 4 pieces up to 256 pieces.
- Jigsaw-Puzzles, select one from thousands of puzzles, give a nickname and click 'play', with adjustable number of pieces, right click to rotate, optional background image, grid and sound effect. Or create own puzzle with a file size up to 1 MB.
You might want to check out these articles too:
- Best Free Lego Building Software
- Best Free Match-3 Puzzle
- Best Free Sudoku Puzzle, Generator and Solver
- Best Free Crossword Puzzle (Stub only)
Jigs@w Puzzle Free
Dinosaur Jigsaw Puzzle
free jigsaw puzzle, free jigsaw software, free jigsaw program, computer jigsaw puzzle, free jigsaw creator, free jigsaw generator, free jigsaw online, build own jigsaw, create own jigsaw