What freeware alternatives are there to the expensive paid bibliographic software (Reference Manager, Endnote etc) now virtually monopolized by Thompsons?
Note: This bibliographic freeware list is just a stub. Please help us improve it by making suggestions or leaving feedback in the comments. Or why not write a review for this section by joining our site as a volunteer category editor?
List of selected bibliographic /reference database management freeware
(NB - platform independent, except where specified)
- Aigaion allows you to categorize publications in your own, user-created topic tree (Open Source GPL)
- Bibus is designed for OpenOffice (Open Source GPL)
- JabRef provides a user interface for editing reference lists filed in BibTex format only (Open Source GPL)
- Jumper 2.0 is an Enterprise Bookmarking engine designed for organizations - it provides "a web-infrastructure platform for tagging and linking data objects" (Open Source GPL)
- Mendeley "desktop and web solution designed for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data and collaborating online" - supports OpenOffice (freeware, proprietary beta)
- Refbase is a web-based, multi-user interface for managing scientific literature & citations in various formats (Open Source GPL)
- RefDB is a reference database tool (for SGML, XML, and LaTeX/BibTeX documents) which allows network sharing (Open Source GPL)
- Connotea from Nature Publishing Group is intended for scientists and allows tagging (Open Source GPL)
- I, Librarian is a PHP program for creating annotated (SQLite) collections of PDFs (Open Source GPL; Windows, Linux only)
- JabRef (see above) can also be used as a web app.
- Mendeley (see above) appears to be primarily envisaged as a web app.
- WIKINDX is a single/multi-user bibliographic and quotations/notes management and article authoring system (Open Source GPL).
- RefDB (see above) also allows read-only access via a web browser.
- Zotero is a Firefox extension designed to gather research info from the internet. Also offers some reference management functions (Open Source GPL).
Two useful sources of information are:
|This software category is in need of an editor. If you are interested in taking it over then check out this page for more details. You can then contact us from that page or by clicking here.|
|This article is about: free bibliography software, bibliographic reference database management freeware|