A typo is a typographic error that occurs in the typing process. This can happen for various reasons: distraction, lack of concentration, fingers striking the wrong keys, etc.
To help reduce the mistakes, users can install a good spell checker which helps check typos almost completely in a few seconds, and suggest a list of correct words for replacement right on the screen. Quite often the spell checker picks up the mistakes more reliably than the human eye can.
Go straight to the Quick Selection Guide
tinySpell is an impressive little utility which checks individual words on a correct-as-you-type basis, from clipboard contents or from a query box. The 110,000 word dictionary is not enormous but more than adequate for normal use, and you can also add words to the dictionary as needed. Resource demands are modest, and the product can be easily enabled/disenabled from the taskbar icon.
It has one odd feature -- the dictionary has both American and English spelling so words like "color" and "colour" both show as correct. Overall, it's quite a solid and excellent product.
tinySpell features include:
- Checks spelling in any Windows application
- Checks spelling on-the-fly (alerts if the last typed word was misspelled)
- Checks spelling of text that is copied to the clipboard
- Allows you to specify tinySpell disabled or enabled applications
- Optionally beeps on error (beep sound can be easily set to any wav file)
- Opens replacements list with a simple mouse click or a hot-key
- Optionally copies the selected replacement word to the clipboard
- Optionally inserts the selected replacement word into the document
- Allows you to add words to the dictionary
- Easy Enable/Disable
- Uses little system resources.
Warning: Downloads from Cnet (Download.com) now require the use of a proprietary installer.
Other freeware to be reviewed:
You might want to check out these articles too:
speller, spell check, spelling check, free spell check, freeware
Please rate this article: