Select a Game Category:
New and Updated Games
Check out what's new:
This list of Best Free PC Games now includes 224 items in various categories. To check out the games, select a category on top of this page or use the box below to view all game items in one massive list.
Love for gaming has no age boundaries. This list has all the games that will be relished by the kids and the elderly alike. It covers freeware games from many different categories and genres that may suit your interests. Since everyone has their own style of gaming and interests for a particular genre, you'll surely find many games that you might love to the core from this list.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I couldn't agree more with this wonderful proverb. The first game made on a computer, titled "Tennis for Two", was way back in 1947 and later, in 1962, came the first popular digital game named "Spacewar!". Thereafter, man has been trying to expand the capabilities of gaming on a personal computer. Computer games and gaming engines have come a long way since then.
Passion for developing games had reached another level, and developers started giving out their work for free to people.
I've been asked numerous times whether freeware games are worth it and whether they give the same amount of enjoyment as other big name commercial games. The answer I give them is yes. In fact, I've had the most fun playing freeware games in this list.
The next question, which pops up in the minds of people, is why do developers give away their hard work in creating these games for nothing. The first reason is that game development is their personal hobby or passion, just like each one of us has a hobby. Secondly, they create a name for themselves and get appreciated by people from all walks of life and subsequently have a fan following. Thirdly, they might also get donations from hammer legion gamers and hence, earn quite enough bucks. Fourthly, some of them create games for their project works and get recognized for their work by bigger gaming companies.
- Various games have different system requirements. While 3D games have higher requirements over its 2D counter-parts, older games require lower specs than newer games. Nevertheless, most 3D games listed here should run fine on the latest built-in Intel HD graphics and don't require external graphics cards as such. Although, having one would improve the overall experience of the game.
- Download managers like Eagleget should come in handy for managing big downloads and also for numerous small downloads. For downloading torrent files, a Bittorrent client like Tixati is required.
- While games usually come as installers (.exe), they may also be packed as archives (.zip, .7zip, .rar etc) and you will require an archiver like Bandizip to extract these games and play. Usually they don't require installation, but certain installers may also be packed.
- Few games listed here might require Steam, the gaming and distribution platform from Valve.
- Games downloaded in the form of image file format (.iso), must be mounted in virtual drives using tools like Winarchiver Virtual Drive if you dont' have Windows 8 or 10.
- Certain games requires Direct X11 which is provided only in Vista and Win 7. Win XP has support only for Direct X9 which is required if you don't have Win 7.
- It's good to install various versions of .Net Framework versions and Visual C++ from Microsoft as games might require them.
- While most games listed here will run offline, very few require an internet connection, and others can be played across LAN.
Browser games, MMO games, exclusive multi-player online games won't be featured here.
Read this article in Chinese
- Free Game of the Week
- 250 Best Free Online PC Games In One Place
- Best Free Game Sites
- Best Free Games and Diversions
This software category is maintained by volunteer editor George.J. Registered members can contact the editor with any comments or questions they might have by clicking here.
Since the comments section in the article has been overflowing with game suggestions, I've decided to create a threadto suggest freeware games that you come across around the web. Please use the thread for recommendations.
If you are a developer and want to recommend your game please use the contact form.
Please rate this article: