Individuals won't have a need for a business application such as, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Supply Chain Management (SCM) or Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software; however, small businesses will find that a wide variety of business management software suites are helpful for carrying out business tasks and managing financial records more timely and efficiently.
An essential tool for managing your everyday business activities and finances
Platforms/Download: Windows (Desktop) |
Version reviewed: n/a
|Our Rating: 4/5
It has a huge range of business management tools and the ability to track stocks and mutual fund portfolios
Platforms/Download: [field_blackberry_download] | Linux | Mac OS | Windows (Desktop) |
Version reviewed: n/a
|Our Rating: 4/5
Examples of Business Management Suites
Besides the above applications, the following are several other competent small business management suites worth evaluating if your business is looking for commercial quality open-source offerings. Of course, small businesses should augment these software packages with the services of a Certified Public Accountant.
- Compiere Community Edition, a cross-platform basic Java/Swing UI version of Compiere's open source ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software that is available for download as a ready-to-install binary distribution. This free edition does not include automated upgrade tools or support from the developer (other than the Forums and Wiki). Additional Software Required: Oracle XE (free) or EnterpriseDB Advanced Server(fee) database.
- NolaPro requires MySQL database. A few add-ons are free but most carry a fee. Converter utility to import QuickBooks data, on-site and hosted web-based ERP deployments, and support provided via online Support Desk and Video Training Library.
- Openbravo Community Edition ERP, ERP functions include Master Data Management, Procurement Management, Warehouse Management, Product Management, Materials Requirement Planning (MRP), Sales Management, Project and Service Management, and Financial Management. Openbravo Point-of-Sale (POS) application is also available. Requires Java Platform, Apache-Tomcat and a database engine, supported systems Windows and Linux.
- Opentaps. a fully integrated application suite that brings together top-tier open source projects to help you manage your business more effectively. Requires Java and a relational database, running in Windows or Linux.
- Sugar Community Edition CRM, many support options and extensions are available via SugarWiki, Sugar University, Sugar Forums, SurgarExchange, and SugarForge. Requires PHP, MySQL or MSSQL, and Apache or IIS. Supported systems Windows, Linux and Mac.
- vtiger CRM, bundled with the LAMP/WAMP stack and other third-party open source packages. Plug-ins for Outlook, Office, and Thunderbird are part of the vtiger CRM project at SourceForge.net, and many support options and extensions are available. Supported systems Windows, Linux and Mac.
- XTuple PostBooks Edition, a graphical client runs on Windows, OS X, POSIX (Linux/BSD/UNIX-like) and requires PostgreSQL database. Support, training and source code are available for all editions.
- TurboCASH, an open source accounting package for small business, with support for VAT accounting. Chart of accounts available here.
Related Products and Links
You might want to check out these articles too:
- Best Free Personal Finance Software
- Best Free Project Manager
- Best Free Project Time-keeping Utility
- Best Free Income Tax Filing Software/Service
This software review is in need of an editor. If you would like to give something back to the freeware community by taking it over, check out this page for more details or contact us by clicking here.