Gizmo’s Freeware is a community based site staffed entirely by volunteers. Everyone here including Gizmo freely donates their time to help promote the idea of free software for all. All the reviews here are written by volunteer editors and we'd like you to consider becoming one of the team.
Editors take responsibility for one or more categories of software, for example "Best Free Media Player."
It’s up to you to select a category that interests you. You may have a category in mind but if not then you can select one from the list of vacant categories that don’t currently have an editor.
To edit a category you are not expected be an expert in that area but you are expected to have some knowledge of the topic and an interest in it as well. Most importantly you need to have an attitude of being prepared to learn.
The reviews for most software categories have already been written by previous editors so generally new editors don't have to write theirs from scratch but rather update and maintain what has already been written. You can of course totally rewrite the review if you wish to, or indeed start an entirely new software category.
Editors are expected to login to the site at least twice weekly to check and respond to any user comments. They are also expected to check once a month whether their reviews need updating and action as necessary. You should plan on a minimum time commitment of 2 to 4 hours monthly. More details can be found in the following short video produced by Ritho, one of our senior editors:
Video: Becoming an Editor at Gizmo's Freeware
- The warm inner glow of participating in a worthy internet community project
- It's your chance to be a mover and shaker. As a reviewer you help shape opinion.
- It's a great opportunity for you to develop and display your critical skills and hone your writing talent.
- You will learn a lot. Most of our reviewers end up as experts in the areas covered by their reviews even though few started out that way. That’s because our site visitors through their comments and suggestions, constantly expose you to new products, issues and ideas.
- You will have clout. As a reviewer at our site you discover that software companies will actually listen to what you have to say.
- You get personal exposure. You reviews on our site carry your name. Furthermore we permit editors to discreetly link back to their blogs and website.
- You get to share in our success. This site is highly respected, growing fast and is rapidly becoming the premium freeware review site on the web.
- You will get to mix it with Gizmo and our 60+ editor community. Our editors are a talented, generous and good humoured bunch so come on in and join the fun.
OK you like the idea. So what’s next?
- Select a category that interests you. You may have one in mind but if not, select one from the list of vacant categories that don’t currently have an editor.
- Login to the site. If you don't have a Gizmo's Freeware account then create one.
- Use this form to contact Dr Glyn Burgess, our Site Manager.
Once you have sent off the form, Glyn will then guide you through the next steps*.
*Please check your spam folder for our acknowledgment.